Slot games are what this website is all about and they’re what I spend most of my time doing. I spend at least as much time playing as reviewing and like everyone I have my favourites that I go back to time and time again.
There are literally thousands of different slot games out there with new ones being released all the time. Here’s a quick guide to give you some insight into the main types of slot game out there, and how they all work.
What do I look for in a slot game?
Over years of playing hundreds of different slot machine games, I know what I like, and it might not be what everyone else likes but that’s ok! The best thing about slots is the sheer number and range out there, there really is something to suit everyone, and while the gameplay may be different, there are certain features that are universally appealing (who wouldn’t want a big jackpot and slick graphics??).
The first step to finding your ideal slot game is to decide what type of game you want to play. There are a number of different categories, and some of them overlap (many video slots are themed for example).
Here are the main ones:
- Classic slots: These slot games hark back to the old pub fruit machines, and they are still very popular among players. I go back to these when I’m feeling nostalgic. Generally they are very simple, with three or five reels and very little in the way of extra features. They’re great if you love simplicity, and you’re just looking for a relaxed session. However, they don’t have the bells and whistles of newer slot styles and this can make them a little boring after a while.
- Video slots: Most of the modern slots you’ll find out there are video slots. This means they are animated and feature sharp graphics, high quality audio and a ton of special features. Video slots are usually five reel, and they come with a whole range of different paylines. I find the special features and multiple paylines really amp up the excitement factor for me as they give me more ways to win.
- Themed slots: I love themed slots, and there are so many of them that whatever movies and TV shows you’re into, I can almost guarantee you’ll find a themed slot to match! From Bridesmaids to Game of Thrones, Tomb Raider to the Terminator, these cleverly designed slots combine the latest in gaming technology with video clips, movie style sound effects and just add an extra something to the overall experience.
- Progressive slots: If you’re looking for a slot that will really show you the money, you’ll want to play the progressive slots. Progressive slots are played across a whole network that spans the globe, and they work on the basis that a little bit of each wager is put into a pool. There have been some staggering wins on progressives, we’re talking multiples of millions here, and this is why they’re so popular.
When you’ve decided what type of game you want to play, here are a few other things you’ll want to look at before you jump in and start spinning:
- Graphics: The quality of graphics will make or break your experience. If the graphics are slow, glitchy or the design of the game is jarring it’s only going to lead to frustration and headaches. Thankfully there are plenty of really well designed, slick games out there. If you stick with games from the main software platforms you can’t go wrong. Microgaming, Playtech and NetEnt have the best graphics and game design in the industry so you can be sure the graphics will be top notch and there won’t be any irritating glitches.
- Jackpots: This is a big one. I love a relaxing slots session as much as anyone, but if I’m going to stake my money I want to know that I’m going to get the best possible return on my investment. This means finding a game with a decent jackpot. If this is a motivating factor for you, you will probably want to venture into the world of progressive jackpots.
Before you start playing any game, always check the requirements to win the jackpot – in many cases you may need to bet the maximum amount to be in with a shot.
- Bonuses: Bonus games are a big feature of video slots and progressives, and they can be a little tricky to get your head around at first. When a bonus game is triggered you will be in the running for some extra prizes, or in some cases, the main jackpot.
Bonus rounds are exciting but they can be a bit confusing! Most bonus rounds take the form of pick and win (where you need to uncover squares or symbols on the screen that relate to prizes), or pick and match where you need to match two or more hidden symbols. Spin the wheel type bonus games are also common and these are pretty self-explanatory!
- Volatility: Understanding volatility is an important part of playing online slots. Some slots will pay out big jackpots occasionally, while others give you smaller amounts more frequently.
Low volatility slots are the ones you can play for hours, picking up smaller payouts regularly. If you’re keen to keep the fun going for hours these are the ones to choose. High volatility slots are riskier, but more exciting, as they pay out less often, but you’ll get a bigger payout.
Special features: The special features unlock extra prizes, and they are well worth looking for when choosing a game. Special features give you more possibilities to win, along with things like multipliers that can increase your payout. Special features add excitement and make for a fun and thrilling experience.
What am I playing right now?
I tend to chop and change with my games, but there are a few that I return to time and time again. Most of my time is spent playing a couple of the big progressives mixed in with a few newer games for variety.
Here’s what I’m playing at the moment:
Mega Moolah: If you’re going to go for a jackpot, you may as well go for the biggest, and that’s why I play Mega Moolah. The African safari themed progressive is lots of fun, and I can’t go past this game for excitement, especially when the bonus round is triggered!
The Dark Knight: This Batman themed progressive offers a great theme and fantastic graphics
along with a very nice progressive jackpot. I love playing this game and experiencing the dark atmosphere of Gotham City and I’m sure you’ll love it too!